What is Reiki?
Reiki is a form of energy healing that has its roots in early 1900s Japan. The word Reiki in Japanese translates to “Spiritual energy”. These methods were taught by founder Mikao Usui who utilized “reiki” to heal the self and become whole. While Reiki practiced in the 1900s Japan stemmed from martial arts practice, Shintoism, Tendai (Japanese Buddhism), Shugendo (spiritual mountain practice), and Japanese culture and philosophy. In 1937, Mrs. Hawayo Takata brought Reiki from the East to the West, which was Reiki’s first introduction to western society. She was a devoted student of Usui and began to teach it as a “Secret Club” to Westerners for a high dollar. Luckily, the techniques and secrets of reiki have been shared with everyone and it is no longer a “Secret Club,” available only to the wealthy.
Energy healing has been around since ancient times and reiki is just one practice to channel it. Essentially Reiki is your life force and, without it, we would be dead! Reiki can help alleviate stress, anxiety, clear chakras, remove energetic blockages, and create greater harmony and balance with our physical bodies and spiritual bodies.
Who can Perform Reiki?
Anyone! You can start performing Reiki on yourself right now. The power is in your mind and your intention. By setting your intention, performing breathing exercises, and showing your thanks, you can cultivate your own reiki practice for yourself.
Reiki practitioners are basically conduits of healing energy; they do not control, manipulate, or dictate the energy since Reiki is a higher intelligence. Reiki energy intuitively knows where to go for a person and the practitioner merely channels that energy like a conduit. Reiki cannot be used to send “negative energy.” Reiki practitioners have been certified and gone through training regarding special techniques to quickly harness and provide the healing energy to a client.
Have you ever held your palms close together in a dimly lit room and stared at them for some time? Probably not, but if you do, you can sometimes since the first layer of your aura which is usually a white glow around your hands. (Often times when we think so much about it, it vanishes just as quickly as it appeared!) You can perform this exercise and move your palms closer and farther to feel the energy, which feels like a magnetic. This indeed is reiki energy working through your hands, which is amazing that anyone an do it. Below is a beginner, Level I exercise you can practice to channel reiki energy for yourself:
- Sit comfortably and relax your mind.
- Put your hands in “gassho” or prayer position and plug your thumbs in your heart.
- Give thanks to Spirit/God/Creator/etc. and/or your spirits, guides, and angels for providing you with this healing energy. Then, set your intention for the healing. This can be “Thank you Spirit for providing this healing energy. I call upon my spirits, guides, and angels to help clear my chakras and provide the reiki energy I need at this time.”
- Lower your hands and cup them over your “hara” (In Japanese the hara is where your spirit resides.) Your hara is right below your bellybutton.
- Inhale reiki energy in through your nose.
- Exhale reiki energy out through your skin. (Just try to visualize and push this energy out through your skin. You might feel warmth, tingles, coolness, or some other sensation.)
- Repeat the inhale and exhale process for 5-10 minutes, or as long as you feel necessary.
It is of utmost importance to give your thanks and show gratitude for providing the healing energy to yourself. Showing gratitude in our practice helps us show gratitude in our lives.
If you are interesting in learning more, a great book I recommend is “Hands of Light,” by Barbara Brennan.